A Roller Operator’s primary duty is to operate the Roller. In addition; a Roller Operator will perform a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to/Directed by the Foreman and responsible for operation of the roller, as well as working closely with Screed Operator when paving asphalt.
- Safely operates roller to compress/compact dirt, aggregate, or asphalt to achieve the specified grading and smooth surface.
- Operates equipment with production goals and targets in mind to maintain project budget and schedule.
- Determines speed, pattern and direction of roller based on knowledge of compressible material to achieve a smooth grade and/or surface.
- Observes temperature of material and operates roller at optimum temperature.
- Effectively communicates with crew members using radios and hand signals to coordinate work and ensure safety.
- Performs daily inspection and maintenance and ensures that roller is in safe, proper working order including fluid checks and proper lubrication. Completes daily walkaround noting necessary maintenance and notifying supervisor.
- Keeps roller clean and prepares/secures equipment for transport to and from jobsite.
- Maintains orderliness, cleanliness and safety at job-site.
- Properly follow Company policies and procedures for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman.
- Must be flexible as start time, shift duration and location of work will vary. Overtime hours required. Willing to travel.
- Visual safety inspection for leaks and damage to machine before operation.
- Ability to operate equipment holding a straight line.
- Understands material segregation and operates roller to ensure high quality product.
- General knowledge of hydraulic and electrical systems of the roller.
- Must be able to work in a team environment safely and successfully.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Experience operating compaction equipment a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, commercial driver’s license a plus.
- Positive, professional attitude and strong work ethic.
Western Construction, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual’s race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, genetic information, and without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against and/or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.