Position Summary: A Screed Operator’s primary duty is to operate the asphalt screed. In addition; a Screed Operator will perform a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to/Directed by the Paving Foreman and responsible for operation of paving screed working closely in conjunction with the Paver Operator.
- Operator on the asphalt paver making normal adjustments for obtaining proper depth, grade and finished cross section of asphalt material via screed operation.
- Operate equipment with production goals and targets in mind to maintain project budget and schedule.
- Must partner with other crew members to pave asphalt per plan specifications and perform tasks of other positions as instructed by crew foreman to insure daily schedules/estimates are met.
- Properly follow Company policies and procedures for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman.
- Must be flexible as start time, shift duration and location of work will vary. Overtime hours required. Willing to travel.
- Work with Paving Foreman developing various paving plans and methods to best suite individual job requirements, Paving Foreman has final authority regarding final action plan used for project.
- Must follow safe operation of paver.
- Must be able to set feed sensors.
- Maintain adequate material in front of screed for lay down.
- Complete daily walkaround, noting maintenance issues and notifying Supervisor of same.
- Responsible for daily maintenance of equipment to remain in proper and safe working order.
- Visual safety inspection for leaks and damage to machine before operation.
- Understand, meet and plan grade cross slope requirements.
- Placement of material in front of screed.
- Setting of flow.
- Ability to operate equipment holding a straight line.
- Keep equipment clean.
- Proper paving speed to match truck delivery.
- Adjust screed crown and strike off.
- Set up and use automatic grade and slope control.
- Understand segregation and how to prevent it due to operation of the paving machine.
- General knowledge of hydraulic and electrical systems of the paver.
- Monitor quality of product and communicate issues or necessary adjustments to ensure consistent and high-quality product.
- Must be able to work in a team environment safely and successfully.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required
- Must have 5 years of experience with asphalt paving equipment.
- Ability to read and understand project plans a plus.
- Experience in the set-up, operation and tear-down of paving equipment is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, commercial driver’s license a plus.
- Positive, professional attitude and strong work ethic.
Western Construction offers a fun & fast-paced work environment, competitive wages and extensive benefits package. Visit our website at www.western-construction.com to learn more about us and Apply!
Apply today and become a part of our successful team at Western Construction!
Job Types: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday